Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Trend: Line Cutting

Every year new trends seem to appear everywhere that most of the time I can't even keep up with all the different up-to-date styles and attitudes.  Recently, I discovered a new trend called line cutting. Though line cutting often happens during long lines for theme park rides, I am referring to line cutting at restaurants and coffee shops.  Those who cut others in line sometimes do it unconsciously while at other times just want to get ahead of you.  I'll give you two scenarios where this happened to me last week.  

Scenario #1
While at Starbucks, I waited in line with my son, while he sat in his tricycle.   I bent down to give my son a kiss.  When I stood back up, I see this lady go right in front of me.  

Me: "Excuse me, I was in line".  

Now, I had a pretty mean looking face and for those of you who know me well, that's very hard for me to make.

Lady #1: "Sorry, I didn't know you were in line".  

Did she not see me because I was bending down?  A friend of mine told me that I needed to grow taller so that people could see me.  Though I am only 5'1, I doubt she cut in front of me because of my height.

Scenario #2
At Subways, for the second time during the week, again someone cut in front of me. I waited for the server to finish making the sandwich for the person in front of me.  The person in front of me was an elderly Asian man.  When the server finished making the sandwich, a lady standing behind me told her what she wanted.  

Me: Excuse me, I have not ordered yet.

Lady #2: Oh, sorry I thought you were with him (referring to the Asian man in front of me).

Me: No, I am not.

Just because the man in front of me is Asian and I'm Asian does not mean we are together.  

I hope this new trend does not last, but fades away.  So far, I have not ran into line cutting lately, but I am always on the lookout for it to happen on my next visits to buy food or drinks.

No comments: